Over years of diverse business experience including application development, strategy & innovation, user experience design, systems infrastructure, project management & resource planning, risk management, business process design, modeling & budgeting, and client relationships. I have a keen knack for developing and motivating teams and strong interpersonal skills that lead to successful relationships with clients and business partners alike. Through the strategic use of technology that aligns directly to corporate goals, I consistently propose high-value solutions that successfully support the day-to-day activities and long-term strategic objectives of the company. I'm assertive, detail-oriented, and culture driven, able to represent a company with maturity, professionalism, and confidence. I'm able to recruit, develop, motivate, and retain high-quality staff by maintaining a hands-on approach to management.
- Software architecture
- Development methodologies
- Ecommerce solutions
- Project management
- Strategic planning and vendor relationships
- Process improvement and change management
- Modeling, budgeting, and forecasting
Examples of Technical Leadership Effectiveness
- Launch of digital consumer experience across multiple brand channels that drove self-service adoption and reduced operational costs.
- Migration of legacy API to cloud-based SaaS platform, putting in place highly-scalable and performant architecture, increasing security, and eliminating dependency on physical hardware capital, without interruption to business.
- Creation of client portal that provided industry-competitive self-service capabilities to agents in the field, increasing agent efficiency, and reducing in-bound call center support costs.
- Internet of Things (IoT) platform to support new partnerships and launch of a new connected home business channel.
- Development of direct-to-consumer portal platform, launching new channel business in less than three months.
- Introduction of UX design methodology into development process across both internal and external application teams.
- Management of anti-fraud solution that remediated charge back crisis, allowing business to scale into new affiliate channels.
- Designed flat-rate shipping algorithm and marketing strategy that improved customer satisfaction while maintaining revenue.
- Built three separate development teams from the ground up and transformed a fourth legacy team to service multiple platforms and industries; developed change control processes in three companies.
- Migration of e-commerce infrastructure to VM platform (55% annual savings).
- Migration of mail system to Google Apps Premier (85% annual savings).
Apr 2011 - Present
Director of IT
Cross Country Home Services, Sunrise, FL
Directly reporting to the CIO, I was responsible for all aspects of application lifecycle management, development, and delivery. This included in-house software engineering as well as direct oversight of our software partners, with combined teams totaling over 100 associates and contractors. From strategy setting to process implementation, budgeting & forecasting to vendor relationships, and business proposal to project planning, I was directly involved in the majority of technology initiatives for our company.
- Significantly transformed legacy software group into high-performing, multi-technology team through upgrades of skills, streamlining process, and in-house promotion, all while enjoying low voluntary turnover during high-stress project initiatives.
- Designed and developed key resource planning and budgetary model used to manage and forecast a multi-year Oracle E-Business Suite ERP project, encompassing over 150 resources, a dozen key vendors, and $15M.
- Successfully partnered with senior leadership to fully author and win support for implementation of an e-commerce platform to support company's new direct-to-consumer channel.
- Implemented pure agile and hybrid methodologies and tools company-wide on both small and multi-year, multi-team projects.
- Delivered client portal to broker and agents in the field on a year-long timeline, coming in on time and on budget.
- Acted as senior technology lead for multiple key initiatives, frequently authoring and presenting proposals alongside business partners to gain support and funding from executive team.
- Early architecture for Internet of Things (IoT) platform to support new partnerships & launch of connected home business channel.
- Routinely participated in high visibility executive meetings, offering technical and strategic advice on new business initiatives.
- Continuous improvement through internal and cross-department retrospectives.
Sep 2006 - Feb 2011
Director of IT
Boca Java, Deerfield Beach, FL
As part of the executive team, I helped define the strategic business & technical direction of the company. I held overall responsibility for e-commerce infrastructure, software development, and office systems. This included managing a budget of over $1 million with direct approval for technology purchases and vendor relationships. Developing and executing project definition and plans for both technical and business initiatives was a key focus of my responsibilities. I defined, compiled, and presented key analytics for all parts of business, including marketing & financial data. Furthermore, I acted as liaison to our parent company's Technology Steering Committee and contributed to policy making and execution at that level. Finally, I acted as senior architect and mentor to our development staff.
- Migrated our e-commerce infrastructure to a VM platform, resulting in a 55% annual savings.
- Migrated our corporate mail system to a cloud-based service, resulting in an 85% annual savings.
- Implemented from conception to production a flat rate shipping program that improved customer satisfaction and expanded our marketing options while maintaining the same level of revenue.
- Managed and delivered major initiatives including a complete redesign of our e-commerce website, move to an outsourced bulk email marketing platform, functional redesign of inventory management system, and redesign of online product catalog.
- Implemented a broad-based reporting and analytics platform using commercial open source tools; authored many of these reports.
- Instituted a change control system and processes for both IT and creative departments, resulting in improved delivery and controls.
- Implemented a full life-cycle process for the development team, including QA and test environments.
- Created a process for combating fraud using a collection of off-the-shelf & customized tools, resulting in lower charge backs rates.
- Directly improved e-commerce application performance over 60% using a mixture of configuration, code, and database changes.
Sep 2003 - Sep 2006
Manager, Enterprise Applications Architect
World Fuel Services, Miami, FL
As a direct report to the CIO, I managed a team of developers and analysts on several key projects, including an Oracle 11i Financials implementation. Early on, I directed several IT teams towards a standardized development and change control process. On the application development side, I designed architecture for and developed security/user management, credit/finance, and taxes & fees APIs and components. I consulted with executive management on several department initiatives, including an internal IT road map and customer service process workflow automation. Furthermore, I collaborated closely with business partners to author functional and technical requirements documents for many initiatives. I presented concepts, prototypes, and finished applications to those same business partners and executive management in formalized settings.
- Delivered several key Java web applications to internal customers on a compressed timeline.
- Built a top-notch team of Java developers from the ground up.
- Created an IT road map for both development and infrastructure teams.
Jul 2000 - Aug 2003
Sr. Programmer Analyst
Kemper National Services / Broadspire, Plantation, FL
My primary responsibility was in the design & development of internal applications. One large project involved the design of the API and front end for a web-based disability claim intake system. I developed other departmental applications, including a reporting automation & workflow tool, web-based survey framework, and an XML-based online help system. This led me to authoring and managing initiatives to standardize XML-based communication between applications across the department. I directed user acceptance testing among development and business partners for several applications.
- Delivered a web-based online claim intake system on time and budget with complete architectural responsibility.
- Developed several extendable API packages for web-based applications.
- Collaborated with a separate app development team to build an interoperable API between web and mainframe applications.
- Co-founder of IT Advisory Council.
- Authored and presented to C-level executives a cross-functional hands-on learning exchange program (called "Adopt-a-Geek") that not only gained approval but saw the successful and enthusiastic participation of dozens of IT and business unit staff members.
Aug 1997 - Jun 2000
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
As part of a team of scientists and engineers, I co-authored numerous technical and policy reports, published through the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. I compiled statistical data for beach erosion studies. I engineered software to assist in the modeling of real-world coastal geological processes.
- Moved several key legacy applications from FORTRAN to object-oriented C/C++ in an effort to make them more component-based.
- Improved on key scientific models.
- Designed numerous graphics and maps for publication.
- Primary author on published reports.
- Conducted field studies and evaluated data that resulted in direct publication.
Management responsibility and direct involvement in the following processes, technologies, and tools.
Project management, budgeting/forecasting, project/IT resource & capacity planning, e-commerce & SEO, security & anti-fraud, field service management (FSM), inventory management, discrete manufacturing, business intelligence (BI), data analytics, SaaS/IaaS and cloud computing, IoT, customer service capacity planning, direct mail, e-marketing, sales, CRM
IntelliJ IDEA, Eclipse, Jasper/iReport, Tomcat, Apache HTTP, MySQL DB, Oracle DB, Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS) R11/R12, Windows, Linux, Git, Subversion, Atlassian JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket, MS PowerBI, PowerQuery, PowerPivot, Windows Server, Linux Server, SharePoint, Oracle CRM On Demand, Oracle OBIEE, UltiPro, Noetix Views, Alteryx